Tuesday, April 1, 2014

What happens after 5T?

Tis the season to go consignment sale shopping and get the kiddos their spring/summer wardrobes.  One snag: I'm struggling to figure out what size to buy Jane.  Her winter clothes are 5T, so I was planning to get the next size.  Turns out kids' clothing sizes are just as wackadoodle as women's.  There's no real universal sizing system, and I want to make sure whatever I buy fits for the whole season.  Help a mama out, and tell me what to do!

Jane's stats:

  • Weight: 39 lbs.
  • Height: 40"
My confusion:

Here is the size chart from Carter's for toddlers:


5T is definitely too small for her.  So, where do we go from here?  The toddler and kid sizes overlap.  Here's the Carter's kid size chart:


Can someone please explain how the children's clothing industry decided to go from 5T back to a regular 4?  And what's with the 6X?  Here's the international clothing size chart for kids from Overstock:


Everything was just peachy with kids' clothing until we outgrew 5T, and now I don't know where to go from here size-wise.  The problem with consignment shopping is that you gotta get it right the first time (no returns!), and I'm not bringing the kiddos with me because I actually, you know, want to shop.  God bless my sweet friend who is watching the kids for me.  :)   

I'm thinking she's a regular kids size 5 if I want her to be able to wear these clothes until August.  Whatcha think? 

2 comments:

  1. I know this is a but behind but I just found your blog through the Happy Saints email (love your Saint coins!). We are in regular 4's and 5's here too. If I understood right the T at the end usually indicated that they were cut with room for a diaper underneath. It didn't always hold true but did more often than not. I think if you are in 5T now that I would go with 5's. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your input, Katie! I bought almost all 6's, and they're a tad big. I'm hoping Jane has a big growth spurt so that her shorts look more like shorts and less like capris... Oh well! :)

      Delete