Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Need to organize your recipes?

I'm one of those people that has ZERO patience for new-fangled technology.  I am terrible at taking the time to figure out how to use new software unless it's something I'm really interested in.  Fortunately for me, I'm married to a man who relishes playing with new gadgets, using shortcuts, and reading blogs or news sites about this stuff.  

I was getting frustrated by having recipes all over the place--websites, e-mail & Facebook inbox, Excel doc, dog-eared cookbooks, etc.  My brilliant and handsome hunk of a hubby discovered a fantastic app designed to organize recipes.  The app is called Paprika.  ***I DID NOT GET PAID TO DO THIS ENDORSEMENT!  I JUST LOVE IT!!!***  Here's what it does:


Paprika is pricy compared to other apps ($20), but, in my opinion, it's worth every penny. 

I've been transitioning away from using paper cookbooks (aside from a few of my absolute favorites), and I almost exclusively use websites.  I had an Excel spreadsheet with my recipes categorized, but it was cumbersome and not very user-friendly.  If Philip tried to find a recipe on the Excel doc, he struggled.  With Paprika, I open up the app, and I can find any of my recipes using the categories that I created.  The recipes can go into multiple categories, too.  You're making the categories and assigning each recipe a "home," so it'll all make sense to you!  

If you're putting recipes in, it couldn't be easier--even for a non-techie like me.  If it's a recipe you've found online, you click on the "Browser" function.  Then, you copy and paste the link to the recipe, and, VOILA, the ingredients and directions are inserted for you!  Brilliant!  If you're like me, you've accumulated a bunch of random e-mails, recipe cards, or Facebook messages with recipes from friends and family.  I am finally getting all of these recipes in one spot using Paprika.  I love how easy it is to navigate and add/edit recipes.  We like to switch things up a bit with our recipes, so I love that I can insert/delete ingredients or include a preparation tip.  I love that you can scale the recipes up or down, too.  

Here's what the screen looks like opened up to my "Chicken" recipes:


In addition to organizing your recipes, you can generate a grocery list and insert your meal plan into the app.  Helpful, huh?

Since Philip is such a tech geek, we have a bunch of Apple devices, so Paprika goes between all of the devices.  If I need to look up a recipe away from my computer, I can access Paprika on my phone when  I'm at the grocery store (if I'm not already using it to review my grocery list).  It's easy to e-mail recipes from the app, too.

It is SO NICE to finally have one place to access my recipes.  I'm still in the process of putting my favorite cookbook recipes and a few others on there, but it is so satisfying to click on a category like "Beef" and see it all right there.   

***AGAIN, I MUST EMPHASIZE THAT I DID NOT GET PAID TO WRITE ABOUT PAPRIKA!  I JUST LOVE THIS APP AND HAD TO SHARE!***

No comments:

Post a Comment