Thursday, August 21, 2014

First Days of Preschool

Jane and Walt started preschool this week at St. Joseph's Catholic School.  I am pleased to report that they both love, love, love preschool!  The only bummer is that the preschoolers don't wear uniforms.  Good news: Jane gets to wear some adorable plaid next year!

Jane started preschool yesterday.  She picked out her Princess Anna t-shirt from Mimi for her first day.  


This is Jane's second year of preschool, so she's an old pro.  Last year, I felt like a bad mama because I didn't cry dropping our firstborn off at school for the first time.  I'm told I'll cry at kindergarten, though.  Stay tuned.



In the meantime, Jane can't get enough of this thing called preschool.  If she had it her way, she'd be there all day everyday. 



Philip blocked out his early morning so that he could join us on the walk to preschool.  Can I just tell ya how amazing it is to be able to take a leisurely walk to school?  It's oh-so-glorious!  Walt insisted on riding in Harry's new toddler push car, Jane walked with Daddy, and I pushed Harry in the stroller.  Sigh.  They're so cute!

  
We couldn't keep up with Jane as she made her way through the hallway and into her classroom! 


She made herself right at home as she found a hook for her backpack.  I had to ask the girl for a hug before we left!  It was like last year all over again.  

"Jane!  Mommy and Daddy are leaving.  Can we please have a hug?"
"Okay!  (Millisecond hug)  Bye!"

While the drop-off experience was the same as last year, the pick-up experience could not have been more different.  Last year, when I picked Jane up from her first day of preschool, I was chomping at the bit to ask her every last detail about the day.  

Who did she play with?  
What did she do?  
Did she do any arts and crafts?  
Learn any new songs?  
What was the snack?  
Tell me, tell me, tell me!

"Mama, I'm too tired to talk about it.  Maybe we can talk later."

This year, Jane had story after story after story to tell us on the ride home.  "I met Grace, but she's in Mrs. ______'s room.  We got to play on the playground!  I drew a picture of a bear, and I brought it home in my new red folder to finish it.  There is a DRINKING FOUNTAIN in my room!  Mrs. _____ is so nice.  I went to the potty all by myself, but then I got lost, and my teacher had to come and find me!  Oops!"  What a difference a year makes! 

On to Walt's first day...

This morning, we woke up to a thunderstorm, but Walt wouldn't let the storm clouds dampen his spirits!  Just look at that cheesy grin!


He was raring to go with his Lightning McQueen backpack and Thomas t-shirt.  He picked out every element of his wardrobe all by himself.  What a big guy!  


Unfortunately, the rain ruled out walking to school.  Philip was able to join us for drop-off again.  Walt loved his little photo shoot in the rain.  "Do I get to take a picture with the sign like Janie did?!"


It really started to pour, so Walt had to pose with the umbrella.


Just like Jane, once Walt got inside the door, he bolted as quickly as he could for his classroom.  He chatted it up with these older ladies as he made his way down the hallway.


"It's the Cat in the Hat!  It's the Cat in the Hat!  This way!"  He remembered to follow the Cat in the Hat striped hats down the hall to the preschool classroom.  


Without hesitation, Walt made his way over to the hooks to hang up Lightning McQueen.  He was so excited to get going with this preschool stuff that we had to remind him to tell us goodbye and give us hugs.  These kids, I tell ya!  

When I picked Walt up from school with Jane and Harry, he IMMEDIATELY spotted our minivan in the pick-up line.  (We would have walked, but the combination of storm clouds and the high probability that Walt would be too pooped to walk made me opt for driving.)  

Walt was all smiles the whole ride home!  He told us all about his new friends, sang some songs ("Where Is Thumbkin?" is his current favorite), and filled us in on all of the other important details.  "Snack was sticky.  I played in the rocket.  They had white milk AND CHOCOLATE MILK!  A boy cried THE WHOLE TIME!  Where is Thumbkin?  Where is Thumbkin?  Here I am!  Here I am!"

To celebrate his first ever day of school, Walt got to choose what they had for lunch.  "Circle carrots and peanut butter and jelly!"  (In case you're wondering, "circle carrots" are canned sliced carrots.  Nothing but the best, folks.)  Jane and Walt were giggle monsters at the lunch table.  They have missed each other these past two mornings, and they love swapping stories.

After I asked Walt for several more details about his day at the lunch table, he looked across the table and said, "Janie, tell us about your day!  What was your favorite part?"    

It's been a great start to the school year so far.  I love that Jane and Walt have the same teacher and that we'll be up there everyday (Jane will be there Monday/Wednesday/Friday, and Walt will be there Tuesday/Thursday).  Hopefully their teacher really, really likes us!  

Since one kiddo will be gone everyday until lunch, we will have some relatively quiet mornings at home--especially since Harry still takes a snooze for a good chunk of the morning.  Jane and Walt are enjoying the one-on-one time with me while the other one is at school.  I'm making every effort I can to soak in the quiet morning while we still have them.  Walt practiced his scissor skills yesterday while Jane was at preschool and Harry was napping.  He relished the one-on-one time.  

"Wow, Walt!  I'm so proud of you for using scissors!"
"Thanks, Mama.  I'm so proud of you for teaching me how!"

Melt.


It all goes too quickly, I tell ya!  Cheers to a blessed school year!    

No comments:

Post a Comment