Monday, August 4, 2014

Asking for Prayers and Taking all Intentions

Do you love Monday mornings like I do?  I love the fresh start--mostly because I usually (99.9% of the time) feel like I need the fresh start.

This Monday morning, I'm asking for your prayers for patience with the kids and a reminder of the significance of this vocation.  I need to stop yelling.  I need to go across the room, get down on the kids' level, and make eye contact when I'm making requests.  I need to enlist them to help more--both because they like to help and because they need to learn these skills as they go.  I need to remain patient as they learn their new skills.  I need to remember that they are acting appropriate for their age.  When they are not acting appropriate for their age, I need to discipline effectively.  I need to intervene ASAP and be consistent.  I need to help them work through their emotions.  I need to take deep breaths before I discipline or swoop in when they're needing an intervention.  I need to have more "time-ins" of quality time than "time-outs."  I need to remember that they are my vocation and not an obstacle to accomplishing it.    

In trying to do all of this, I appreciate your prayers, but I need one more favor:  Can you please let me pray for you?  Can you please share your intentions with me?  In my last post, I wrote about how I'm keeping a journal full of intentions.  When I'm tempted to do all of the things I'm trying to avoid (yelling, nagging, going it alone with the chores, etc.), I want to have a list of prayer intentions to turn to.  As I go about my day, knowing that I have a mission to unite whatever little things I'm struggling with to the cross for the sake of your prayer intentions will give me the drive and motivation to:
  1. be a better mama
  2. put suffering (big and small) to work for good
Can we start this week off right together?  Can I pray for you, and can you please (please, please, please???) pray for me?

2 comments:

  1. Please pray for my marriage and for my wishes to one day be able to stay home with my little boy. I will be praying for you also, as I need help in the mothering department daily too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for such an inspiring post! I've been struggling with a similar issue trying to be patient with my 3 year old who's unfortunately picked up my bad example of yelling :/ I hope to adopt your approach of offering up prayer intentions in the midst of life's daily parenting struggles. Please pray for my patience, too and also for a family member who is hoping to adopt.

    ReplyDelete