Friday, January 24, 2014

"My sister and my favorite saint"

The kids and I were watching EWTN's footage of the March for Life on Wednesday.

I think about Thérèse often, but I haven't been able to stop thinking about her since watching the March for Life.  All of the images of the unborn are painful reminders of the precious baby I never got to meet.  


When we were watching the March, a young woman passed by the screen holding this image:




Jane said, "Mommy, what happened to that baby?  Why is it bleeding?"


I explained that the light going through the baby's arm made it look red, but that the baby was not bleeding.  I showed her how a flashlight made the same thing happen to my fingers.  I said that the picture was of a beautiful baby growing inside of her mommy's tummy.  


Jane thought about it for a few seconds.  She put her little hand on my hand and said, "Mommy, you have two daughters.  Thérèse is in heaven.  She is my sister and my favorite saint!"


Woah, Holy Spirit!  Thank You for teaching me through my children.  I blinked through some tears, and I hugged Jane as best I could because I was feeding Harry.  I said, "You're right!  We love Baby Thérèse in heaven, and she's always praying for us.  She loves you very much, too."  


Since that moment, I've been thinking almost nonstop about our little saint in heaven.  I've realized that my postpartum depression started on the anniversary of my miscarriage.  I'm still grieving the loss of our little baby.  I desperately love our sweet little Harry, and I've received so much healing through his precious life, but he will never replace Thérèse.



My dear mother-in-law "gets it" and gave me this necklace for Christmas.  All of our children's initials are on it--including Thérèse.

I wrote in a previous post that I was nervous about stopping my progesterone therapy for the postpartum depression.  Since I stopped my shots and oral progesterone last week, I've had some good days and some bad days.  


Since the March for Life on Wednesday, I've been asking our little saint, Therese, to intercede on behalf of our family.  I kicked myself for not thinking to pray to her to help heal me from my postpartum depression.  It brings me so much peace to know that our baby in heaven can help bring healing to our family on earth.  It's amazing to think that the baby I never got to hold can help me to be a better mother to the babies I am holding today.  


St. Thérèse pray for us!  I hope we're making you proud!    

2 comments:

  1. That Jane is so sweet and so right! God bless you and your complete family and know Therese is looking down on you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing! We lost two baby boys last year and it was during our first lost that I found your blog. I to am in need of the reminder to turn to those little ones for intercession!

    ReplyDelete