Monday, April 8, 2013

Prayer Request: Daily Mass With the Kids

After hemming and hawing over wanting to take the kids to daily Mass but being too afraid to try it solo, I've finally decided that we're actually going to do it.  Tomorrow.  8:15.  Get ready, daily Mass goers!  My crew is invading tomorrow!

I'm equally excited and nervous about this adventure.  Well...maybe...actually...definitely, I'm more nervous than anything.

I'm excited because:
  • What's not to love about starting your day receiving the Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity of Christ in the celebration of Mass?
  • I have visions of the kids sitting like perfect angels at Sunday Mass because of the added "practice" at daily Mass.  (I hear you chuckling, Reader.)
I'm nervous because:
  • I'm 21 weeks pregnant and going to Mass solo with a 3- and 2-year-old.
  • There are fewer people at daily Mass, and any noises the kiddos make will be amplified.
  • What do I do when I go to receive Communion?  Should I sit in the front pew and leave them?  Do I leave Jane and bring Walt?  Balance Walt on my hip, hold Jane by the hand, and pray that Walt doesn't try to swipe the Eucharist as I wait for the priest to place it on my tongue?  Maybe I'll disqualify myself from Communion with thoughts about my misbehaving kids so it will be a non-issue.
  • Did I mention I'm going solo and Philip won't be there?
Nonetheless, we're going.  I'm writing about it on my blog so that we'll actually follow through and do it.  We're going, and I'm going to pray that it's not a complete disaster.  Can you please pray for us?  Can you pray that my kids' guardian angels prevent them from recreating a scene from "The Exorcist" at daily Mass?  Can you pray that the others in attendance take pity on me if someone (probably me) has a breakdown?  Can you pray that they think something like, "Oh, that poor dear.  At least she's trying," and not something like, "I pray that they'll never return!"  Can you pray that we're seated next a sweet old grandma that thinks my kids' "participation" at Mass is a sign that the Church is alive and well?

Maybe...just maybe I should ask you pray that I stop worrying about what the other Mass goers are thinking, realize that they probably aren't paying attention to us (unless, of course, Walt makes a beeline for the altar during the consecration), and that I just focus on what's actually happening at Mass.  Yup, that's what I'm going to ask you to pray for.  Pray that we actually show up and that my kids get to experience daily Mass.  Mostly pray for that.

   
Thank you!  I'll report back tomorrow.  I better go and start praying.

3 comments:

  1. Praying for a great Mass experience for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So how did it go? I rarely take kids solo - God love you for taking the first step.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for your encouragement and prayers! I just wrote a follow-up post saying that it actually went great this morning: http://hallelujahismysong.blogspot.com/2013/04/we-did-it-kids-and-i-made-it-through.html

    ReplyDelete