Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Daily Mass Day 2 & True Love

I took the kids to 8:15 Mass for the second day in a row this morning.  The church was jam-packed, standing-room only, so I ended up sitting with the kids in some chairs in the narthex.  I told them that they had to stay on the rug or in their chairs.  We had a few blunders (for example, Walt tried running to the altar after we returned from Communion), but for the most part, it was a pretty grace-filled morning of prayer with the kiddos.  

We brought a few board books, and each kid got to bring one stuffed animal.  Everything else stayed at home.  They didn't miss the extra bells and whistles one bit, and their behavior was actually better today.  

I know you're not supposed to be whipping your phone out at Mass, but I couldn't resist capturing the sweet little ones "reading" so quietly--at least for that moment.  We'll ignore that Janie's hymnal is upside down...


Here's to hoping that Day 3 of daily Mass tomorrow goes just as well!

After Mass, we made our weekly grocery trip run.  Each time we go to the grocery store, I bring two Oreo cookies (Double-Stuffed, of course) in a baggie.  I tell the kids that they may each have one in the check-out if they are good listeners and do a good job of waiting.  Here are the kids post-Oreo a few weeks ago.  Walt's crazy hair and the crumbs all over his face are killing me! 


The kids did a great job at the store today, so I distributed the cookies as the cashier rang up our groceries.  Like always, Walt snarfed his down in seconds, and Jane took her sweet time.  When Walt realized that his cookie was gone, he started crying.  Without skipping a beat, Jane split her cookie in two, handed half to Walt, and said, "Here ya go, Walt.  I share with you."  The cashier and I looked at each other in amazement.  She said, "Wow, I don't think I could share my Oreo with someone else!  Now that is true love!"  Yup.  It sure is.

2 comments:

  1. What great encouragement here on two accounts. One, your witness shows other moms that we can go to daily Mass with our kids AND without our spouse. Two, your daughter is special. Sharing an Oreo? Now that's something. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa! We're still sticking with daily Mass, and it's made a huge impact on our day-to-day life. I had to share my experience in the hopes that it would make some other mamas brave enough to even try.

      This morning, one of my mom friends said that it has been so nice to see us coming every morning. I said, "Right back atcha!" It's so encouraging to see other moms with little ones in tow. We take our turns with squealing babies or toddler tantrums, and we can give each other a knowing nod during Mass or a little pep talk afterward. Us mamas have to stick together!

      Delete