Thursday, April 18, 2013

Jane's Lunchtime Prayer

We took a little hiatus from daily Mass Wednesday and today because the kids have been overtired from a busy schedule.  This morning, little Walt walked to me with arms outstretched, tears rolling down his cheeks, and asked, "Binkie?  Night, night?" at 8:15!  My kids definitely belong to me--they love their sleep!  We plan to resume daily Mass on Monday.  In the meantime, I look forward to seeing if I can tell a difference in their behavior at Mass this weekend with Philip. 

About the time we started attending daily Mass, Jane started asking to pray for various people or things before saying the meal prayer.  As I started to lead the meal prayer at lunch yesterday, she interrupted me.  

"Mama?  Can we pray for Jesus?"  

"Of course," I said.  "What would you like to say?"

She thought for a few seconds.  "OK.  Dear Jesus, thank you for heaven."

"Oh, Janie, that is a beautiful prayer!  Is there anything else you'd like to say?"

She closed her eyes to think about it.  Her eyes popped open.  "Yes!  Thank you for dying on the cross to save us.  I am sorry you got all of those ouchies.  I will kiss them to make them feel better.  I will get you a band-aid.  Amen!"   

Jane and "The Child Jesus" statue in our parish courtyard
No wonder Jesus insisted that his disciples let the children come to him.  They love so purely and passionately, without seeking repayment or having an underlying agenda.  They just love.  Their prayers must be among his favorites.  

1 comment:

  1. I've got a sweet picture of my girls hugging that Jesus statue too. It is so sweet and they can really relate to him as a Child. I love the things they say during their prayers too. It really does show you what true faith is supposed to look like; no doubt, just acceptance.

    ReplyDelete