Friday, June 28, 2013

7 Quick Takes Friday (Volume 5)


-1-
Jane is still doing splendidly with her potty training and completed another sticker map last Sunday.  Remember how she used her first completed sticker map to buy herself a Hello Kitty lunchbox?  She used her second completed sticker map to buy the fam a dish of strawberry ice cream with sprinkles.  Yum!  Way to go, Jane!



Jane isn't so sure why every stranger we meet isn't as excited as Mom and Dad to hear about her triumphs on the potty.  She told at least 3 employees at Costco, "I went poo poo on the potty!"   
 
-2-
We got a cd of Veggie Tales songs from the library a few weeks ago.  It's all we listen to in the car!  Walt spied some asparagus at dinner a few nights ago, and he immediately asked if he could try "Junior," the cute asparagus boy from Veggie Tales.  After we handed him a spear of asparagus, he launched "Junior" into a little song and dance and sang every word of "God is Bigger Than the Boogey Man."  As an added bonus, Walt loved the asparagus.  Hooray for Veggies Tales and encouraging vegetable appreciation! 


-3-
Philip and I became godparents for our friends' precious baby last weekend.  This is Philip's first time as a godfather and my first time as a godmother for a non-family member.  What an honor!

I cry at every baptism, but I was especially moved when the deacon gave my friend a blessing as Luke's mom.  It reminded me of the responsibility I have as the mother of my children to get them to heaven, and what a blessing it is to carry our own precious unborn Baby in my womb.

 
How sweet is that adorable little baby?!  We love you, Baby Luke!  May God bless and keep you always!

-4-
We took the kids to get haircuts the other night.  Per usual, Walt hated the experience, and Jane loved every second of looking at herself in the mirror while chatting it up with the stylist.  For surviving the ordeal, Walt got his first sucker.  He seemed to think it was worth it because he smiled and said, "Mmmmmm!  Licious!"

Doesn't Walt look so old?!  Jane said, "He's not even your baby anymore!"  I almost cried.  These hormones are something else!  

The kids finished their suckers at the dinner table and posed for a few pics.  Here's a little montage of the cute moment:





-5-
By no means have I traveled to all the ends of the earth, but I'm convinced that the state of Nebraska is home to some of the kindest people in the world.  While we were getting the kids' haircuts, a sweet woman named Margaret who looked to be in her sixties and was clearly a regular at the salon, struck up a conversation with me and Jane's stylist.  She asked all about our children, their ages, etc.  

When I mentioned that Jane was starting preschool in the fall, she asked where, and I said our parish name.  She immediately perked up and said, "Oh, that's my church, and my sweet neighbor has kids that are just their ages!  Her little boy is going to their preschool in the fall, too.  You just have to meet for a play date!  You remind me so much of her.  They're new to town, and she stays at home, so she's looking for more friends and play dates."  So, the sweet lady turned into a play date/mom friend matchmaker, and I gave her my phone number to pass along to her neighbor because, well, that's totally normal in Nebraska.  We'll probably bump into Margaret this Sunday because we go to the same Mass.  How great is Nebraska?!          
 
-6-
While Daddy did some yard work the other night after dinner, the kids and I played in the driveway.  It's my new favorite summer night activity!  The kids love playing with their water table, coloring with sidewalk chalk, or scooting around on their tricycle and Cozy Coupe.  Using one of our cars to block the end of the driveway creates a helpful barrier between the kids and the street.

Daddy found a worm in the dirt as he was digging around.  Miss Jane thought "Squirmy" (her name for the worm) was the coolest guy ever!  Unfortunately, Squirmy got stuck to the metal on Jane's trike handle bar and split in two.  Without skipping a beat, Jane held up both halves of Squirmy and said, "Cool!  Look!  Now I have 2 Squirmies!"  


-7-
Left:  Walt (4 months) & Janie (19 months).  Right:  Walt (2 yrs.) & Janie (3.5 yrs.)

The kids were playing so sweetly together yesterday afternoon.  I had to snap the picture on the right.  As I looked at that picture this morning, I had a flashback to the day they played together on the floor when Walt was just 4 months old and Janie was 19 months old.  I love finding similar scenes in everyday life as they get older and putting them side by side like this.  It's incredible how their big personalities shine through even from the earliest age.  Their expressions are the exact same in both photos!

Want to join the fun?
Head on over to Jen Fulwiler's blog at Conversion Diary and post your own 7 Quick Takes!

No comments:

Post a Comment