Friday, May 4, 2012

When Philip Works Inpatient Months

It's hard to believe, but Philip has almost completed his first of three years as a pediatric resident.  Yay, Philip!  We're so proud of you!


Thanks to the recent work hour restrictions put in place, Philip is able to see much more of his family than his predecessors.  Nonetheless, he's still working very hard, and sometimes the hours get the best of him.  His most intense months are called inpatient months.  During these months, he works a week of night shifts.  With two little ones at home during the day, it's tough for Philip to get much rest.  


Inpatient months are difficult on our family because of the limited time we have with Philip.  The trade-off is endless entertainment from sleepy Philip.  He's always sleep-talking, sleepwalking, or doing other goofy things.

During one of his most difficult inpatient months, Philip tapped me on the shoulder in the middle of the night and said, "Hey, who do you think will be the top-selling recording artist this year?  Taylor Swift?"  

Philip's been known to sleepwalk and sleep-talk when we have a newborn.  Sometimes it can be scary.  One night, I had to intervene when I heard the bathroom fan and tub running.  I intercepted Philip on his way to the nursery where he said he was going to "give Walt a bath"!  Yikes! 


Last night, I woke up at 2:45 a.m. to see that Philip had disappeared.  I found him, asleep on the living room couch, and he had no memory of how it happened.

A few months ago, in the midst of an inpatient month, Philip decided he'd try to help convince Janie to take a nap.  He said he'd try sleeping on the floor next to her daybed.  The plan worked for about forty-five minutes.  Then, I heard Janie making some noise.  I decided to investigate, and this is what I found when I opened the door:

Philip was snoring on the floor, wrapped up in a blanket.  Janie was standing over him in her footie pajamas, holding something.  She had gotten the hand sanitizer off of the changing table, and was standing over Philip with the bottle, ready to squirt it all over him.  Who knows what would have happened had I not come in.  Now THAT would have made a good video!  Here's the scene caught on video:

 


Is my husband the only sleepwalking, sleep-talking resident out there? 

No comments:

Post a Comment