Friday, December 30, 2011

Let the Children Come to Me

This year, we started after-dinner singing in front of the Advent wreath and Nativity scene.  I've found Jane going over to the buffet table where they're resting to look at them throughout the day.  

Here she is, looking at the Advent wreath and Nativity scene during one of our singing sessions.


She loves pointing out the different figures in the Nativity scene, blowing out the Advent wreath candles from afar--even when they're not lit, and singing her own rendition of "O Come, O Come, Emmanuel."  It sounds a lot like "O Come, O Come, O coooooooooooooooooooome."  

Yesterday, I was folding laundry in the living room.  Jane ran off with the laundry basket, and I heard her banging it in front of the buffet table.  This could only mean one thing.  She was on a mission to see Baby Jesus.  I grabbed the camera to catch this:

 
Sure enough, I found her, standing on top of the overturned laundry basket, peering into the stable.  Before she saw me, I watched her wave into the stable and say, "Hi, Jesus!"  She picked up the Baby Jesus out of the manger, brought him to her chest in a hug, said, "Awwwwwwww, I love you, Jesus" and then gave him a big kiss with a "Muwah!"  

Oh, man.  Talk about an "I could just eat you up" moment!  I couldn't help but let out a "Awwwww" of my own.  

When Janie realized she'd been spotted, she said, "Mama!  Look!  Jesus!  Mawwy!  Jo-sip!  Cow!  Flying!"  She had to show me all of the players in the Nativity scene. 

To convince her to leave the Nativity scene in peace (and not in pieces!), I told her that Jesus was tired and that he needed to go night-night.  She stuck him back in the manger.  "Night-night, Jesus!  Shhhhh, Mama!  Jesus sleeping!"

No comments:

Post a Comment