Friday, November 18, 2011

My Husband is Better Than Your Husband

I'm sure your husband is great too, but I wanted the spirit of healthy competition to get your attention.  

Have you ever noticed how women have a tendency to start bashing their husbands when they get together?  The women transform into clones of "Debra," Patricia Heaton's character who plays the wife of Ray Romano on "Everybody Loves Raymond."  All of the Debras compete to decide who gets the Laziest and Most Incompetent Husband Award.  It inevitably turns into one woman trying to one-up the other.  "If you think that's bad, listen to this..."

From the TBS website
I did a little mind experiment that scared the heck out of me.  If Philip were to come across a wife-bashing session with a bunch of guys (as if they'd waste their time talking about us!), what kind of ammo would he have on me?  This, of course, is not the only reason we should be praising our husbands instead of throwing them under the bus, but isn't it a little terrifying?  Need we remember the last time we went on a hormonal tirade that ended in tears and the words, "I don't know why I'm like this!"  The first step toward recovery is admitting that you have a problem, right?  Or, am I the only one with serious issues?  

Regardless of the ammo we could supply our husband with in a wife-bashing session, us wives need to do a better job of praising our husbands -- to them and to others.  There aren't enough positive examples of husbands.  Men are made out to be lazy and incompetent idiots who do little more than get in the way and retreat to their man caves when they're home.      

I'm sick of it for men.  I want to share why my husband should receive the Husband of the Year Award, and I hope it will encourage all of you to share why your husband should receive the award as well.  There are a lot of great husbands and fathers out there, so let's recognize them!

Here's my nomination for Philip:

Philip works long hours as a first-year pediatric resident.  Although recent work hour restrictions allow him to spend more time with us as a husband and father, he still has a long work week.  He never complains about how much he works or the everyday annoyances that inevitably come up.  He doesn't give whatever he has leftover to our family, but he gives the best of himself.  He walks in the door with a big smile on his face for me and the babies.  He gives us big hugs and kisses and immediately asks us how our days were.

He doesn't stop working when he gets home.  He helps with dinner, plays with the kids, does bathtime, storytime, and works on the honey-do list.  I know he wants to relax because he's had a long day, but he routinely asks me if I'd like a break.  "Do you want to go and read for awhile?  I can clean up dinner and put the kids to bed."  Ahhhhh, I love you!

Reading "Horton Hears a Who!" to Janie and Walt
Last night, he suggested I go out to dinner with a college friend because "[I] deserve a break."  (Yes, last night was Thursday so it was technically "date night," so we've postponed this week's date night to Saturday.)  Not only was it great to have some time out with a friend, but I couldn't believe what I discovered when I came home.  Philip had steamed the carpets, cleaned the bathrooms, cleaned up the kitchen from dinner with the kids, and mopped the kitchen floor.  He gave me a big hug when I came home, said that he was glad I got to have some time with a friend, and suggested we watch some "Top Chef" before bed.  He didn't even try to brag about all of the great things he had done around the house.  He let me discover all of them on my own.  Now, if that doesn't earn the Husband of the Year Award, please tell me what does.

Who think their husband deserves a nomination?  Let's hear them!  Share the great things your husband does for you and your family.  

2 comments:

  1. Love this, Catherine! And I love reading your blog. You're an inspiration, lady! :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Alex, you're so sweet! I don't know about being an inspiration, but I'm glad you enjoy the blog. :) Philip's a great husband, and he deserves the praise. Hope you're doing well!

    ReplyDelete