Wednesday, April 4, 2012

The Fifth Station: Simon of Cyrene Helps Jesus to Carry the Cross

Shameless Popery is a great blog I read from time to time through the National Catholic Register.  The author has been compiling reflections on the Stations of the Cross, and the reflection on the Fifth Station really spoke to me.

The Fifth Station:  Simon of Cyrene Helps Jesus to Carry the Cross.

Statue in Vietnam portraying Simon helping Christ carry the cross.  Taken from:  http://www.hcmctoday.com/2009/04/i-saw-this-beautiful-tugboat-as-i.html
To make sure Christ didn't die on his one-mile trek to his place of crucifixion, the soldiers picked Simon the Cyrenian out of the crowd to help Jesus carry His cross.  As Pope Benedict XVI says in his reflection on the Fifth Station, Simon "does what he must do, but reluctantly. Significantly, the Evangelist Mark does not only name him, but also his children, who were evidently known as Christians and as members of that community (cf. Mk 15:21). From this chance encounter, faith was born." 

When I heard the Stations of Cross as a child on Fridays during Lent, I thought Simon was kind of a jerk.  I mean, here's Jesus, beaten beyond recognition, and you're annoyed that you have to help the guy carry the cross he's going to be murdered on?  C'mon!  What's wrong with you?!  This is GOD!

I didn't realize that I was still being called to carry Christ's cross everyday.  I thought it was an interesting part of the story, but I didn't see how I could participate in shouldering the cross.  As I enter into adulthood, I am seeing the countless opportunities I receive throughout my days to help shoulder the cross, but I'm too much of a blockhead to do it most of the time.

Thank goodness for the beautiful words and reflections of the Holy Fathers and blessed people like Mother Angelica.  Mother Angelica wrote and recited a reflection on "The Way of the Cross" for her order of nuns.  I'd like to share her reflection on the Fifth Station:
My Jesus, Your tormentors enlisted a Simon of Cyrene to help You carry Your Cross.  Your Humility is beyond my comprehension.  Your Power upheld the whole universe and yet You permit one of Your creatures to help You carry a cross.  I imagine Simon was reluctant to take part in Your shame.  He had no idea that all who watched and jeered at him would pass into oblivion while his name would go down in history and eternity as the man who helped his God in need.  Is it not so with me, dear Jesus?  Even when I reluctantly carry my cross as Simon did, it benefits my soul.

If I keep my eyes on you and watch how You suffered, I will be able to bear my cross with greater fortitude.  Were you trying to tell all those who suffer from prejudice to have courage?  Was Simon a symbol of all those who are hated because of race, color, and creed?

Simon wondered as he took those beams upon his shoulders, why he was chosen for such a heavy burden and now he knows.  Help me Jesus, to trust Your loving Providence as You permit suffering to weave itself in and out of my life.  Make me understand that You looked at it and held it fondly before You passed it on to me.  You watch me and give me strength just as You did Simon.  When I enter Your Kingdom, I shall know as he knows, what marvels Your Cross has wrought in my soul.  Amen.       
I have a sweet nephew who happens to be named Simon.  When he was younger, a teacher took his class to the school church where she showed the young children the Stations of the Cross.  When my sister picked Simon up from school that day, he was thrilled to tell her all about the part that he, Simon, had played in Jesus' Passion. 

"Mom!  Jesus fell down, and I told him, 'Get up, Jesus!  Get up!'" 

Lord, help me to love You like a child--simply and completely.  Give me an eager and willing heart to help you shoulder Your cross.  Please help me to enter into the Lenten season with the innocent love of a child, who pictures himself truly there, telling Jesus to get up and helping Him along His way.  

2 comments:

  1. Hey random but I saw this and thought of you and your kiddos! Could be fun: http://thelarsonlingo.blogspot.com/2012/04/ressurection-rolls.html

    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cute! Thanks for sharing that fun idea. Jane loves anything and everything related to food, so something like this is sure to be a hit. Hope you're having a blessed Holy Week, Erin!

    ReplyDelete