Saturday, July 28, 2012

Getting into the Olympic Spirit

We've been getting into the Olympic Spirit around here!


I found this blog post with activities called "Fun With The Olympic Rings" and stole a few of their activities.

First, I put pieces of paper into a muffin tin with colored rings on them. 



Then, I showed Janie how to sort the M&M's by color into the tin.
 

Of course, we may have eaten a few during the sorting process!


To work more on her color recognition and hand/eye coordination, I created this Olympic Ring inspired worksheet on Microsoft PowerPoint.  My PowerPoint making skills from teaching are still coming in handy at home!  (Comment below with your e-mail address if you'd like a copy.)


I put one of each M&M color on the 5 rings and showed her how to position them on the circles.


Janie counted the M&M's as she put them onto the small circles.



I just finished reading Bringing Up Bébé by Pamela Druckerman.  The author talks about how French children learn the important lessons of patience and following directions by baking in the kitchen with their mothers.  I thought I'd put this into practice with Janie and make some Olympic-inspired cupcakes.  We made some Betty Crocker "Party Rainbow Chip" cupcakes with butter cream frosting.  We topped them with the M&M's that we sorted for our color recognition activities.  It's safe to say that trying our cupcakes was Janie's favorite part of the day!



Go, USA!

No comments:

Post a Comment